Welcome!

Hi, this blog is an online record of some of the works I have written. I've started off by sharing some of my poetry and I will also be adding short stories, children books and chapters of novels as I complete them. I have a diverse and general interest in all types of writing and hope to one day see one of my works published.
Please feel free to comment on any of the posts as I am eager for feedback. This is the first time I've ever publicly shared anything I've written and so haven't yet heard any oppinions from others- good or bad. I'd love to hear whether you liked or even hated what you read and what you think are the strengths/weaknesses of any of the pieces. Please do not hold back (although please try not to be needlessly hurtfull! Like I say I'm new to this!)
Above anything else I hope to achieve with this blog, I hope that whoever stumbles across it will enjoy reading one if not all of my works.
Thanks,
Jessica Paul.

Saturday 20 August 2011

Nelson The One Eyed Turkey Chick

Down at the bottom of the garden,
On a hot and sunny day,
The mother hens’ and turkeys’ are laying
As their little, spring chicks play.

The turkey chicks on one team,
The yellow hens on another,
They all play hide and seek
All but one turkey brother.

“Why won’t you let me play?”
Asks the little turkey chick.
“I may have only one eye,
But I’m just as strong and quick.”

“No you cannot play Nelson”
says a mean hen whose trying to fly.
“Seekers need to see very well,
And you have only one eye.”



Nelson is sad he can’t join in
And goes to ask his mother
Why won’t the other chicks play
With their one eyed turkey brother?

His mother says “Don’t be sad,
The others are young and do not know
What I’m about to tell you,
But they will learn as they grow…

You’re nelson the Turkey chick
And you may only have one eye
But you can do anything, yes you can
If only you just try.”

With a spring in his step, a smile
And a twinkle in his eye,
Nelson goes to find the others
But stops when he hears a terrible cry.

“Help!” Shouts a scared little chick.
Nelson rushes to where he sees
A helpless chick named Clara has fallen
In the pond behind the tree’s.
“I’ll run for help.” Calls nelson.
But Clara shouts “There’s no time,
I cannot swim, you must help,
I know you’ll do just fine.”

He looks around with his one eye
And spots a very long stick.
He puts it in the water and holding tight
Yells “Grab it Clara. Quick!”

As Nelson pulls Clara free
All the mothers and chicks come running.
They had heard the shouts and screams
But weren’t prepared for a sight so stunning.

“Oh Nelson, you saved me.”
Says Clara, beaming from ear to ear.
“With you around Nelson,
I’ll never have to fear.”

All the little chicks
Who hadn’t wanted him to play
Were now all cheering for
the chick who’d saved the day.
Nelson was so happy,
Now everyone would know.
He really could do anything
Just as his mum had told him so.

That night as his mother tucked him in,
And the Farmers’ wife shut the door
Nelson said something to himself
Of which he was sure.

“I’m nelson the Turkey chick
And I may only have one eye.
But I can do anything, yes I can,
If only I just try.”

No comments:

Post a Comment