Welcome!

Hi, this blog is an online record of some of the works I have written. I've started off by sharing some of my poetry and I will also be adding short stories, children books and chapters of novels as I complete them. I have a diverse and general interest in all types of writing and hope to one day see one of my works published.
Please feel free to comment on any of the posts as I am eager for feedback. This is the first time I've ever publicly shared anything I've written and so haven't yet heard any oppinions from others- good or bad. I'd love to hear whether you liked or even hated what you read and what you think are the strengths/weaknesses of any of the pieces. Please do not hold back (although please try not to be needlessly hurtfull! Like I say I'm new to this!)
Above anything else I hope to achieve with this blog, I hope that whoever stumbles across it will enjoy reading one if not all of my works.
Thanks,
Jessica Paul.

Saturday 20 August 2011

Nelson The Amazing, The One Eyed Turkey Magician

Nelson the Amazing
The one eyed turkey magician.

Down at the bottom of the garden
On a hot and sunny day
The mother hen and turkeys are laying
While their little, spring chick’s play.

Today the hen and turkey chicks
are putting on a show.
Each must have a talent
Or show off what they know.

Clara’s a ballerina and
Petal’s being funny.
But Nelson doesn’t know
Of anything to be.

He’d show off his balancing
But Nick is doing that.
He’d do his impressions,
but he can only be a cat.

He’d run very fast but
he’d run straight off the stage.
He’d do an escaping act
but he doesn’t have a cage.

Poor little Nelson
is really in a muddle.
He’s feeling quite sad
So sits down in a puddle.

 “Oh what, oh what, oh what
could my special talent be?
I don’t do anything special,
And everyone will see.”

Then an idea clicks
in the little, spring chicks head.
He remembers something
his mother had once said.

“You’re Nelson the turkey chick
and you may only have one eye.
But you can do anything, yes you can
if only you just try.”

“I may not do anything special now”
says a chick on a mission.
But I’m sure I can learn in time
how to be a magician.

“What do magicians need?”
The little turkey thought.
A cape, a hat and a wand
and he knew just the sort.

First he ran to the edge
of the nearby pond.
There he found a fallen stick,
that was perfect for a wand.

He went to the laying box
where the mothers were all sat.
He asked them for half an egg shell,
perfect for a hat.

Now just one thing was left,
he needed a magician’s cape.
For that he went in search
of the Farmers wife’s old drape.

When he found the fabric
he pecked off a little bit.
He wrapped it round his shoulders,
and was happy with the fit.

Now he did looked ready
to put on a magic show.
But he had to learn some magic
before he could go.

“Abracadabra” he said
As he gave his wand a flick.
But nothing happened and he knew
 he’d need a better trick. 

Meanwhile, all the chicks and mothers
were getting ready in their chairs.
The first act was by the stage
at the bottom of the stairs.

When every chick had took their turn
and had gotten lots of cheers,
Clara said it was time for Nelson,
but he had disappeared!

Clara shouted out his name:
Once, twice and a third.
But no one could see a thing
of the little turkey bird.

Then with a mighty bang
and a cloud of magic smoke,
Nelson was standing on the stage,
and this is what he spoke…

“I am Nelson the Amazing,
the one eyed turkey magician.
I disappeared and coming back
was my very special mission.”

Then, each and every bird
in each and every row,
stood up and clapped their wings
 for the best chick in the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment